Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Drive Home


This post is part of the Just Write challenge, and will hopefully become the first in a series of Tuesday posts here on my blog.
______________

Listening to classical music on YPR, it’s already dark as I drive home from my afternoon of grocery shopping. My feet are aching and I feel like I could sleep right here. I’m dreading how many trips it will take to unload all of this.
You flutter low in my belly. “Hey, kiddo” I say, brushing my hand across my ever-growing bump.
We enter the s-curve of Valley Drive and I see a dead rabbit on the side of the road. That familiar sink settles into my chest. I wonder if you will be a softy like me. Swinging left I see the moon sitting fat and orange just above the hills on the east edge of the valley. The sinking feeling leaves and I wonder if you will be as in love with the little things of this world as I am.
59. That’s what the temperature gauge in our Jeep reads. Thank the lord, it’s finally starting to cool down. I’m glad I wore my jeans today.
Final left turn onto Main St – almost home. I remind myself to keep it under the speed limit. I repeat my new motto, “Drive like there’s an infant in the car.” Because really, there already is.

3 comments :

  1. I am so jealous of your 59 degrees! Congrats on your new baby - I can't wait to read next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Debs Dealz stopping by to follow you via GFC. I ran across your site and I love it!! I would like to invite you to check out by blog as well, and follow me back if you like, and/or like me on Facebook. We have daily blog hops...we would love to have you link up and participate!! We feel the blog hops are great ways to network with other bloggers, increase our followers and meet awesome people! We currently have the Monday Madness Blog Hop available to link up to. Stop on by!! Also, if you exchange buttons let me know!

    http://www.debsdealz.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Debs Dealz

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was gorgeous, I really hope you do write more of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete